Sunday 19 August 2012

Waders

No, I'm not talking about the funny long wellies you wear to go fishing in or nightclubbing (yes, I have seen it with my own eyes... many years ago in a rather dodgy establishment in Sheffield...) I am talking about shorebirds dudes.

Specifically Ringed Plovers (or whatever they're called these days) marching across the mud in Pwllheli. I counted at least 245 of them which is a personal site record.

Also here were 35+ Dunlin, a cracking summer-plumage Bar-tailed Godwit that looked like it had flown straight out of a Lars Johnsson painting, Common Sandpiper, 60 Redshank, 13 Curlew, 46 Oystercatcher, a couple of Ruddy Turnstone and 4 Sanderling. Plus a few other bits and pieces. It was certainly worth the hobble around the harbour, which has gone up a gear as the back pain seems to be easing.

Spurred on by this unprecedented bit of patch birding I had an early dinner then wandered down the treacherous muddy path by Tre-heli Farm to Porth Neigwl. The target species was Med' Gull but I was disappointed to find the only laridae were literally miles away along the beach and dropping on the sea to roost. With the light fading I only managed to pick up a couple of adults and a 1st winter and with virtually no other birds on the beach  I headed back.

With little wind, a cloudy sky and high temperatures it was rather sticky going - certainly not a night to be wearing waders!

No comments:

Post a Comment