Thursday, 25 April 2013

Scarce Migrants

Busy with computer problems lately, hence another tardy update. So first some old news.

I returned for another grilling of the Subalpine Warbler and eventually caught up with the Woodchat last Sunday when the rain finally eased and the sun came out in the afternoon.

I had the pleasure of meeting up with several birders on site including Steve Culley, Martin Jones, Eddie, Phil Belman, Austin Morley and Scott Reid. 

Phil has kindly forwarded the following image of the warbler lurking in the gorse.

Scott was good enough to send the shrike photo. What a cracking bird!

Thanks to both of you and please note the images are copyright the photogrpahers.

Five Lesser Redpoll and 15 Goldfinch showed at point blank range on the feeders from the excellent little conservatory cafe at the Ty Newydd Caravan & Campsite at Uwchmynydd. The tea and fruit cake were pretty good too - well worth calling in!

Tuesday produced my first Tree Pipit, Swift and Grasshopper Warbler of the year at Uwchmynydd, several lovely Yellowhammers and a female/immature Merlin amongst other birds.

Today dawned rather moist and became increasingly so until early afternoon when the rain moved through and conditions eased. The Subalp was feeding actively at Mynydd Mawr with four Common Whitethroat and 13 Willow Warblers part of a mini-fall dotted around the walls and hillside.

Hirundines comprised 18 Barn Swallow, 20 House Martin and 3 Swifts. The passage of Goldfinches was still evident with another 10 north and 11 Siskins.

Some idiot has burnt a fairly large chunk of the mountain overnight (probably an acre or so) with the gorse still smouldering and a few distressed looking Stonechats and Meadow Pipits dotted about with 8 Greenland Wheatears.

On the positive side, it was good to locate a pod of 18+ Harbour Porpoise feeding in the Bardsey Sound. Porps are virtually guaranteed here but it's the largest number I've encountered for a long time - the figure above is probably an underestimate as they were popping up all over the place.

A quick check of the fence lines resulted in me locating the Woodchat again at Aberdaron early evening, ranging the fields south of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment