Wednesday 5 September 2012

Poor show

I set the phone alarm for 0515 this morning, ready for a dawn blitz on the headland. Unfortunately, I managed to accidentally set the bloody thing to 'vibrate only' and slept straight through it. Doh! 

Anyway, with sunshine, fresh northerlies and no rain the plan was to grill Pwllheli harbour yet again and produce a mega wader like the Lesser Yellowlegs that lingered here between 9th-10th September 1975. Did any readers actually see it?

Sadly (read predictably) this did not happen, despite a few hours here as the tide dropped afternoon. In fact, there wasn't anything even remotely uncommon (and I did try for Semi-palmated Plover but could not pull one out from the mass of distant Ringed Plovers).

No Little Stint, Bar-tailed Godwits, Sanderling even... just 13 Oystercatcher, 160 Great Ringed Plover, 6 Red Knot, 6 Dunlin, 15 Curlew, 75 Redshank and 4 Ruddy Turnstone were revealed through the trusty old Swarovski scope. Even hirundine passage was reduced to just a trickle of Swallows, unlike yesterday.

A group of 15 Teal were feeding at the Cob Pool plus the usual mix of gulls but little else here either. Must try harder next time!

Talking of readers I note that I'm on roughly 10,000 page hits and nearly 100 Twitter followers. I hope you're enjoying my now regular missives from the peninsula, really appreciate any feedback you can be bothered to write and would like to send my best regards to all of you, whoever and wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment